Netball Association of Malawi ( NAM) is yet to pay about K560,000 ton Malawi Queens
players for their game allowances during the just ended Diamonds Challenge Netball Tournament, which took place in South Africa.
The Queens, which finished second
during the tournament and received K10 million from their sponsors Airtel Malawi
before their departure for the
Nam general secretary, Carol Bapu told the media that they used the K10 million for camping and training allowance when
they were preparing for the Diamonds.
According to reports on Nyasa Times, theQueens stayed for eight days in camp and
they were being accommodated at Oasis Executive Hotel in Limbe.
They checked in on June 6 and checkedout on June 13.
The tam booked 12 rooms for 19 players, two coaches, team manager and team doctor.
The two coaches Peace Kaluwa and Mary Waya were sharing an Executive Room which costs K20,500, while the team
manager and team doctor had a room each at the same prize.
The 19 players were booked 9 rooms, with two players sharing a room, except the three players, who were sleeping in one room.
The players rooms were Standard rooms at the price of K15,000. The whole costs for accommodation at this Hotel is K1, 572 000.00.
The 19 players were also paid K15,000 each as training allowance for the eight
days in camp. The whole amount on the players training allowance was K285,000, while the two coaches, team doctor and
team manager were paid K28,000 as anallowance.
This means that NAM spend
K112,000 for the allowances.
In total, for accommodation, training allowances, fuel and food approximately Nam only spend close to K3 million out of
the K10 million which they were given by Airtel Malawi.
NAM general secretary Bapu said for the actual Diamonds tournament, the air tickets, accommodation, food and
allowances in South African were paid by that country’s netball Association.
Some players confirmed with the source on Friday they are being frustrated as NAM is yet to give them their allowances for
winning two matches against Uganda and Zambia.
One player said for winning a match they are given K20,000, meaning each player is
supposed to receive K40, 000 for two wins.
Meanwhile, despite NAM announcing that the Malawi Queens will not participate in
this year’s African Netball Championship which throw off this coming sunday,28th
June in Botswana, they are yet to officially communicate to the organisers on their withdraw and they risk fine.
African Netball Associations president Tebogo Lebotse Sebego told Nyasatimes that Malawi was yet to officially communicate to them that they have failed
to participate in this year’s competition.
Malawi, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Swaziland, Tanzania and hosts Botswana
had previously confirmed their
LebotseSebogo said they expect Malawi to take part in the tournament as they confirmed their partipation before the
tournament was shifted from Namibia to Botswana.
“Malawi had confirmed for the games for Namibia. Our expectation is that even
though the games have been moved to Botswana they would still come,” she said.
She however said its only South Africa who communicated to them that they will not participate in this year’s tournament.
Lebotse Sebogo said apart from Malawi losing to South Africa their current ranking as top team in Africa, it risk being
fined for failing to take part in the
tournament as the Committee will meet and discuss their fate on Saturday.
“As a committee will sit down and discuss what action to take against Malawi for failing to show up to the tournament on
Saturday,”said Lebotse Sebogo.
Africa Netball (AN) will stage its Annual General Meeting (AGM) and elections during the championship.
Lebotse Sebgo who is the first African President from 2010 has confirmed that she will seek re-election-©NyasaTimes